Hmmm...
Obviously since I have presented on Castiglione and his The Book of the Courtier, I thought I was able to give a lot of valid points in class (hopefully, right, at least I hope it was somewhat coherent). Even though, good lord, I am freaking out because I went way over the time limit. I promise it was not intentional! Believe me, I hate giving presentations and I am surprised I was able to talk for that long. Castiglione sure does have a lot to say about what exactly constitutes the perfect gentleman! One question, though: when one man suggests something and another man shoots it down, does that mean that, by default, Castiglione himself also hates that characteristic that he had his character shoot down? I do not know. Because remember, he is a courtier himself and he is constantly reflected in his work.
I think I went over enough themes in class as far as both the life of Castiglione and some humanism/Renaissance main points (I have posted my PowerPoint on the class wiki), so now I'd like to have some fun.
-cue Also Sprach Zarathustra-
First, there was chivalry.
Then, there was a courtier.
Now, there is a perfect gentleman!*
Castiglione can have his requirements for the ideal man? Well, here are MY thoughts for MY perfect man! [Note: Only some of my thoughts are included. I am an incredibly intricate woman and my brain is a swirling with complexities; so this is what I can think of for now. Teehee! Also, I suppose not all of these have to apply to simply dateable men, but rather any sort of man, friend, whatever. Get your mind out of the gutter.]
- Respect. Enough said.
- Humor. Also enough said.
- Courtesy. Kind of like respect, but a little different.
- Supportive. Duh!
- Sensitive. But not wimpy.
- Goal-oriented.
- Responsible. (I'm almost 21... you'd think this shouldn't be a problem. WRONG.)
- Fun. Entertain me!
- Honest. Don't lie to me. I will find out. And I will hunt you down.
See something I missed, ladies? Comment your little hearts out and add to this list!

These are the major ones I can think of for now.
* I tried so very hard to think of something clever that could be alliterative and match the c-sound at the beginning of both chivalry and courtier but alas, the only thing that even remotely made sense was companion. But that wasn't exactly the right word I was looking for... I also briefly entertained the idea of "classic" or "classical" companion, or something, but that didn't really make as much sense as I had hoped. Sad.

Oh my goodness I love you Meghan!!!! This is absolutely hilarious and wonderful! Actually it is kind of what I blogged about. Obviously we don't really need to know about the perfect courtier, but we might want to think about other areas of perfection. So anyway that was the gist of my blog and now in yours you have actually done it! (And very well I might add.) I love the picture by the way! You are so much fun! Thank you for the very bright spot you have made in my day!
ReplyDelete