Monday, April 13, 2009

What Methinks of Luther

[Everytime I see the name "Luther" I read it to myself as Lutero. Because that's how you say it in Spanish. Martín Lutero. Jajaja.]

Well I sure have been horrible about updating this. I apologize... I have had a lot going on in my life lately and I get really overwhelmed with school (understatement of the century). But better a bit late than never right?

I sense a post filled with such uncertainty coming - which is ironically a big part of this class, a big part of Luther, a big part of theology around the world? WEIRD!

Well, my biggest thing with Luther (that some of you might remember I have raised in class before) is... okay, I lied. TWO things.

1. The fact that he is searching for certainty and wants to rely not on good works but on faith alone. But... isn't faith precisely that? Uncertainty? 

2. The fact that he has the balls to break away from the Church and form his own religion. How is that possible? 

On one hand, sure, why shouldn't he be allowed to question his system of beliefs, because I suppose that many people go through that at some point in their lifetimes. I understand that. And I understand his frustration. Definitely. 

But on the other hand, "here, let me rewrite the Bible for you? The Gospel of Anyone NOT John? Unimportant! *dismissive wave of hand*" How does he assume he has the right to go ahead and do that? I wrote the word "authority" first there, instead of right, but then I refrained because I thought about how he said that we are all supposed to be equal as Christians. So I suppose that's the second issue I wanted to raise about Lutero and where he gets off creating his own religion like that.

Maybe I want to create my own religion. And not some sort of Scientology or Kabbalah bullshit because although money is a handy thing to have I am not out to scam people. No, in Meghanism everyone would treat everyone with respect and be hilarious while doing so. Humor is a wonderful thing and everyone should bubble over with happiness and they should laugh so hard they cry. I do that everyday! Now that makes me wonder how often Lutero laughed... curious.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Meghansim!!!!!!! I was SOOOOOOOOO glad when you brought up the first point in class (about how Luther wanted certainty and found that in faith which seems to be rather uncertain). It really is frustrating! I totally get what you mean about how it would be scary and difficult to defend your convictions even if that means starting your own Church. That is probably the only way I can relate to or find Luther at all sympathetic. When I was writing my paper for Hicks, I just kept thinking how hypicritical Luther was! I mean he encourages people to read the Bible for themselves, but then he proceeds to add introductions to each book of the Bible and tell people exactly what you should get out of it. I also really think that his issues with religion were (in a lot of ways but maybe not all ways) his own misunderstandings and hang ups. That could actually explain why there are so many kinds of Protestantism. Each splinter was addressing their own issues. I'm definitely with you, Meghan and I love the wonderfully witty and playful way in which you make your points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Caitilin! Especially about having some sympathy for Luther and about how hard it is sometimes to be caught between a rock and a hard place. He does seem to have a lot of hang ups with his religion and I think that is why it is so frustrating for him. I know a lot of people who have gone through questioning times in their spiritual lives and who have been angry with God in the past, perhaps not to the extreme to start their own religion, but upset enough to really take a closer look at their faith. We were talking about that in my religious studies class once, and I was even discussing it with a friend from ND, about people who blindly follow their faiths (Christian or otherwise) and never actually think critically about what they believe because their parents simply handed their religion down to them. I think that plays a big part of Luther's philosophy, because he was a "heretic" who stepped back and said, wait a minute... like his mentor (Oh God, what was his name again? It's escaping me momentarily) said, "It's not God that is angry with you, Martin, it's you who is angry with God." I guess a lot of people today are angry with God! My friend from ND who I referred to a moment ago says that "it's not God I have a problem with, it's his fanclub." I guess that puts a totally different perspective on it!

    I appreciate that you enjoy whatever wittiness I can muster Caitilin! If I have made someone laugh it has been a good day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, my dad tried to create the church of Jiminism. We were going to buy a church that was for sale in Cincinnati and basically rip off Catholicism, but without Jesus. He already has his own story as to how his mother and father gave birth to him on the day of days in the month of months in the year of years. She even rode to the stable where he was born on a donkey. He used to recite it to us on our intercom on his birthday every year.

    ReplyDelete